Saturday, September 22, 2007

Precious Promises


Yesterday we were in the midst of the everyday hussle and bussle of getting everyone ready for school...snacks were packed, water bottles not forgotten, and backpacks in place. This particular morning, as we got into the car, we were not rushed to get down the road *as usual* because we had actually managed to make it out of the house with enough time...dare I say, a little extra time. God met us on the way and then we knew the purpose for our few extra minutes! Our Creator had placed a beautiful rainbow right in front of us! And He had given us the time to stop and take it all in...what a blessing to start our day together by praising the Lord for giving us such a wonderful gift and for the reminder of His blessed promise to Noah so many years ago.

When I made it back home, my heart was still fixed on God and His promises. I love that He placed the bow in the sky to remind us of the promise that He would no longer cover the earth with water...but what else has He promised us?

*Just like the rainbow, He has also left us His blessed Spirit to dwell within us as His promise that He would not leave us "comfortless" [John 14:16-18].

*He also promised us that He would one day return...[see John 14:1-3] There have been many since that time that have questioned His dear promise and have grown inpatient; however, II Peter 3:9 tells us that "The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness: but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that al should come to repentance."

*God loves us, He wants us to come to Him and He doesn't wish that anyone of us would miss His gift of eternal life. {Which is in itself another promise: "And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life" I John 2:25} We can rest in the fact that He is the same God now as He was the day that He swept His almighty hand across the sky, placing in it, the colorful rainbow...His promises are sure...His promises are truth!

Ok, so now it's your turn...which of God's promises do you hold tightest to? What promises are most precious? He is worthy...let's share His goodness!

"God, you are awesome, thank you for sending your rainbow as a reminder that you are still God. I praise you for meeting me in the midst of my day. Lord, I also honor you for loving me and for pursuing my heart so that I would not perish...your gift of eternal life is amazing! I love you and your truth brings me peace!"

No comments: