Friday, June 22, 2007

Signs of God

When we arrived in the Philippines, of all, one thing stood out to me the most, right off the bat. Signs of God are everywhere! Jeepneys, billboards, cars, tricycles; the secular radio stations even quote scripture of all things. I started taking pictures of some of the mudflaps, bumper stickers, etc, because it was just so amazing to me that they have the freedom to express their faith so boldly. The heart-breaking fact is that these people live under the stronghold of false religion; they are living their lives professing a God that they don't really understand...they are moved to love and devote their lives to someone that they have never been introduced to. It reminds me of the people mentioned in II Timothy that describes them as "Having a form of Godliness, but denying the power thereof..."

The impression of that is very challenging to me for several reasons.One~I know the one true and living God, yet, at times my faith is not displayed as such. I tend to live in fear of rejection, ridicule...you know, we've all been there. Their boldness challenges me to live my faith outloud to others. Two~I am moved to compassion over the souls around me. Thirdly~I am challenged to grow closer to my God, to have a deeper relationship with Him so that my faith will not just be an outward display, but that my heart would be pure and honest in my service to Him.

No comments: