Saturday, May 17, 2008

sorry sir, the rat ate your generator...

Slowly but surely, as the day progressed, the storm has worsened. The forecast now is that this typhoon could quite possibly be the largest that the area has seen since 1998. My faith has been tested in a way. The newly known storm severity has brought with it new fears in unknown spaces and I have found myself needing to go back and read my own words...God is in control and can bring peace in the midst of the storm. Say it with me now..."God is in control"! Thank you I needed that!

Mid-afternoon we lost our power; to no surprise really. I was more surprised that it took till so late in the day before it was gone. No problem I thought, we have been blessed with a generator, so we'll be ok. Well...not so much...tried to start it, no go. Added gas, no go. Beckoned for the camp electrician to come take a look at it...sure enough, his words were "the rat...he ate through the wires". Nice! I wasn't even aware we had a rat lurking lately, but evidently we do and it seems that he likes the chewy plastic coating of electric wires...how fortunate! I guess I can be glad that he's not in the pantry eating the food, right? Little splice here, little tape there, 3 men working in the driveway...viola, back in working order. Sort of. It's working, but not at full power. We have enough to keep the fridge cold and provide us with a little light here & there, but overall, still blessed to even have that much. The kids have been good for the most part. Yes, there was boredom...much boredom, but they did pretty well all things considered. For a while, you could walk through the house & see piles of toys resting in the light of the windows and that was sweet. Can someone tell me why it is that when they have beautiful skies to play beneath that they choose to play inside, but on the stormy days when they have to be inside they want to run and play and scream outside????

If I were to sum up our day in a few words, it might sound like this: Crazy wind, scooters, candles, boredom, barbies, legos, horizontal rain, brown outs, hungry rat, left overs, banana pie, reading, branches...lots and lots of branches, fear, peace, good night prayers, quiet spirit, God in control...all is well!

On another thought, my mind cannot shake the vision of the little neap-hut homes that grace the roadside not a mile from here...are they safe? do they still have a roof? do they still have a house for that matter? The same God who sees me in this place, sees them also and cares for them just the same. I am not special. If He cares for me, He also cares for them and will watch over them as well. God is so good!

"Lord, be with those who live in simple homes...watch over them and cover them with your hands tonight as the worst is yet to come. Lord, that they might come to know you and your glory through this....open my eyes and make me/keep me aware. Thank you for loving us and caring for us like you do. Thank you for the simple pleasures of clean running water and electricity. You are so gracious."

No comments: