Friday, March 7, 2008

cobra~the other white meat

This is dedicated to our friend Blake at Bible Baptist...this one's for you buddy!

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard this phrase connected to strange foods: "Go ahead, try it, it takes like 'chicken'". I am here to tell you that there is only one thing that really tastes like chicken and that is chicken! *Mark it down*

Last week I get one of those calls from Paul...he's in the garage with, from what I can tell, a good sized group of workers laughing behind him telling me that they had found a cobra on the grounds and were cooking it for lunch...what was so funny about it is that they were trying to convince me that I needed to eat it with them. There are many things about this culture and people that I feel like I try to adapt to in order to feel more "one with them", but being "all things to all people" gets a little tougher when eating snake comes into the equation. On my way to grab Jonah from the school, I ran down to the garage to take a look and temporarily -completely- lost any sense of good judgment and agreed to eat it (I really thought I was stronger when it came to peer pressure, but obviously I need to make that a matter of prayer)! Fortunately for me it was hot off the fire, and I was able to walk away without so much as a little nibble; UNTIL I returned to the house with Jonah and Paul had my snack waiting for me there.

I tried it...I didn't care for it, but I didn't die, so that's a good thing. I cannot testify that it tasted like chicken; like I said before--chicken tastes like chicken ya'll! I did, however impress the people of whose land I dwell and for now feel a little more like I belong {never mind the white skin and Texas accent!}. Just another day in the life...gotta love it!

No comments: