Thursday, October 4, 2007

6 months.3 days.16 hours

It was exactly that long ago today that we stepped down off the airplane and our feet touched foreign soil. The feeling beneath my husbands' feet was a familiar one and there is absolutely no way to describe what emotions he had that day; perhaps one day he will share that with us! God called us many years ago into His service, yet, we had not yet reached our designated place of service until that glorious day.

So many initial questions:

What would be in store for us? What friends would we make? Would we even make friends?Where would the kids go to school? What about church, was there already one there; would God call us to start our own? What would the kids think/feel? Would we miss our friends? Would Paul remember the language? Could I/the kids learn the language?

Over time the questions have changed a little more into praises and heart's desires:

What about those people Lord? How can I do more? Oh Lord, thank you for giving us friends, thank you for giving us a church! Praise you Lord for the ways you have given us to communicate with "home"! Thank you for bringing the language back to Paul and for giving the rest of us promise of learning it well. Oh, and praise to God that He has provided us with a home and a life with real grandparents!

I have spent a little time reflecting and talking with Paul over our stay so far and have come to know that there have been many lessons learned. Some of them I would like to share, others I will continue to hold dear to my heart, just where God put them!

I have learned that:

  • Traffic laws [overall are] merely suggestions
  • Texas heat ain't got nothin' on this one!
  • It really is an art to live by the quote, "waste not, want not"
  • One does not neccessarily need an actually room in order to go to the bathroom
  • Tears are healthy
  • Friends are brought closer through prayer no matter their distance
  • The open-air market is quite charming
  • The smiles of the Filipino people bring me comfort
  • God is indeed faithful and true to His every word!
  • My family means the world to me...I didn't think I could love them more
  • God is still opening doors
  • I really don't miss those things I thought I would
  • Ok, maybe I do miss Walmart a little
  • It is one thing to have a vision, but another to put it into action
  • It really was important for me to memorize the metric system in school
  • Sometimes, you really can live on grace alone
  • Even in the tough, sad, heavy-hearted, disappointing days, I am right where God wants me to be, and that brings me peace
  • I wouldn't trade my life here for any other place in the world! Honest!
  • When people said they would pray for us, they were serious and I am grateful

Oh, the journey so far! I know there is much more to see, do, and experience. I know that what has already been only scratches the surface. If I could sum up my emotions on a daily basis with one phrase, it would have to be: "God is faithful"! He is faithful in the waiting, faithful in the tears, faithful in the laughter, faithful in the provisions, faithful...just so wonderfully faithful.

"My gracious Savior, Loving Lord, you have been so faithful to me-to our family. You have given my husband a passion and you have graced him with the leadership to guide us along beside. You alone God have brought us here and I thank you for seeing in me something that can be used for your mission...I ask Lord that you would continue to open doors, open hearts, open relationships that are neccessary in spreading Your name in this place. Thank you for providing for us each step of the way...you are incredible! I love you more today than I ever thought I could, all because You are teaching me to see more of You each day. Thank you Father!"

No comments: