Friday, March 14, 2008

I'm not THAT old am I?

Ok, so today is my birthday. I have turned all of 36 years old, which is fine for me, I never really get bogged down with age and I am really enjoying this stage of life. It does, however, humble me sometimes to turn around and look back at the years past and realize just how far down the road of life I have come; while in the same thought I realize just how much road is still left in front of me {Lord willing}.

Having a young woman around everyday who is all of 19 years old has caused me to take a different and new perspective on age though. I have so enjoyed our time together and we are just too funny running around town and watching all the people stare...I feel more like a tourist now than before. Each place we go, every store we happen to be in, people want to talk to us and get a brief history of who we are and where we are from. I obviously must be the elder one of the two because most questioned are asked to me first, even if they are questions for Karissa. The most frequently asked question, that has been a bit irritating, is this: "Oh, mam, is this your daughter?" My daughter? Why can't she be my sister? Why does she have to be my daughter? Do I look old enough to have a 19 year old daughter? Good grief! Ok, so I haven't colored my hair in over a year and my grays are peeking through, but I do try to hid them in my side part! Could that be it? Or could it just be that the years are finally beginning to show a little? Ugh!

What do you think?

I concede; it is a battle I cannot win, I am aging...I hope to age gracefully...I hope to grow in grace and knowledge as I watch the years pass. So with 35 years behind me and an unknown number of years to come I pray that God would continue to humble me, use me, amaze me, and love me beyond my comprehension. It is a good life...I am 36 years grateful!

No comments: