Monday, November 5, 2007

Clean Hands, Pure Heart

{Sunday}

Sitting in church with my family around me...trying so hard to keep the youngest child from wanting to go to the back of the church into the parking to play...trying to keep the mosquitoes away...trying to appease the ever thirsty children who are unhappy because I forgot the water bottles...trying to keep the sweat from rolling because I left my fan at home...trying to keep the smile on my face and act like I am understanding the message, while, in fact, I am desperately wishing for a "Pentecost" moment~you know, the moment when the men of God were preaching and the people each heard the message clear and "in their own tongue {language}"! Wow! That would certainly help!

On the flip-side, my heart is comforted by the dear sweet members...the hugs and the kisses! I love singing the hymns with them and joining together in scripture reading...and I love to hear them pray!

There are many frustrating things about being in church right now for me....language being the upmost highest on the list {we're working on that}...but I find that even through the inconveniences, etc, it is still a joy to be in the House of the Lord gathered together with other believers. When the frustrations overwhelm me, I typically have to confess my bad attitude to the Lord and ask Him to allow the service to speak to me in a personal way, to reach me~beyond what the words are saying and speak to my heart. I have been convicted this week {and many times before} about my motivation...what brings me to church? Do I come to be noticed by others? To make a "grand entrance" and be seen, only to find self praise? Or do I come clean to worship with my fellow believers?

I have also learned that these questions do not leave me when I leave the church, these are questions that are faced with the onset of each new day...Do I clean this room to be noticed? Am I nice only when others are taking notice? Do I do good deeds in order to get the pat on the back at the end of the day?

With that in mind, I would like to share these song lyrics with you. One of my absolute favorite music artists is Sara Groves...she has a unique sound, but she also has a wonderful way with words....I like to sing this song loud, but I also take it with me to the quietness of the day as a gentle reminder of my motivations:

Know My Heart Lyrics
Artist:Sara Groves

Why do I pray? Do I pray to say I prayed an hour?
Why do I love? Do I want you beholden to me?
Why do I help? Do I help to hear my name called out?
And why do I sing?

Chorus:
Search me and know my heart, oh God.
See if there is any wrong thing in me.
All I have ever really wanted –
Clean hands and a pure heart.


Why do I give? Do I give so I can get a blessing?
Why do I praise? Do I praise to do the right thing?
Why do I serve? Do I serve so others will serve me?
And Why do I sing?

Chorus:
Search me and know my heart, oh God.
See if there is any wrong thing in me.
All I have ever really wanted –
Clean hands and a pure heart.

Psalm 24:3-5:

"Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord? or who shall stand in his holy place? He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, now sworn deceitfully. He shall receive the blessing from the Lord, and righteousness from the God of his salvation"

*God, you know those secret moments, thank you for dealing with me like you do. Be with this day and never cease to remind me that I am acting and serving and loving all as to bring honor and glory to you, not in order to serve man. You, and only you, are worthy of my praise! Praise your name Lord, my your name be on my actions today!*

No comments: